25 August

I quite literally had to wrest the iPad out of my daughter’s sweaty paws this morning just so I could work on my (now two days late) post. GAH.

Last week was really quite nice. My in-laws showed up late Monday afternoon on their way to California and we had a nice visit. They refused to come inside the house because they wanted to keep me safe, God bless them.❤️ They recently bought a new, smaller trailer that’s easier for Mike’s truck to pull and now I have trailer envy! We spent a lot of time outside parked in our lawn chairs, just chatting and enjoying each other’s company. I hadn’t seen them in over a year and was glad to have them with us. I tried out a new slow-cooker vegetarian chili recipe that turned out really tasty and was very well received. I make a sauce out of mayo, sour cream, lemon juice and spices that I like to put on tacos and anything south-of-the-border-flavored and I swear, I think Mike wanted to just crawl into the bowl and wallow there for a while! If Mikey likes it, that’s a sure sign that I “done good.”😄❤️ Anyway, I mentioned that they’re on their way to California. They’ve sold their cabin in Joshua Tree and now they have the onerous task of packing up the place, loading what they can in a U-Haul truck and carting it to their house in Arizona. I was hoping that they could hold off until next month when the weather turns a bit cooler but Mike wanted to get it over with and I can’t say I blame him. I’m concerned, though, because Kathy will have to drive the truck and trailer while Mike drives the U-Haul and even though they’re both capable drivers, I know what that whole nightmare is like. That’s the way we came to Texas and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, certainly not my in-laws. The one good thing is that they only have to drive to southeast Arizona rather than halfway across the country.🙏🏻🙏🏻

Rory had his second cataract surgery yesterday and now I’m parked outside the doctor’s office, waiting for him to finish his follow-up appointment. He’s doing really well – his right eye is now seeing close to 20/20 and will probably improve more once he goes in for the additional laser treatment to remove the remainder of the cataract. His left eye will catch up quickly, I’m sure.

Tomorrow I go back to my oncologist’s office for the second of six monthly IV chemo infusions. The vampires in the lab will also sample my blood and I’ll get to chat with Dr. Santiago again. I’ll need to talk to him about this weird bump on my right shin that just started bleeding out of the blue a couple weeks ago. I’m almost certain it’s another basal cell carcinoma and I already have an appointment with my dermatologist on the 10th of September, but I want to clear any possible surgery with Dr. Santiago before I go to see Dr. Anderson. Any little thing on my lower legs seems to take forever to heal and this may be a detriment if I have to have something cut out of me. On the plus side: If I do have to have surgery, I’ll have another scar that will perfectly match the one on my left leg! Okay, that may not be a plus, but hey – gotta look for that silver lining, right?😊