22 April

1. The care I’ve been receiving here at the hospital.
2. My rather warped sense of humor, without which I’d be up a creek.
3. A good night’s sleep

I sort of let yesterday slip through my fingers, so no post, but the news is good: My mouth is a good deal better. I had few issues with dinner last night and none with breakfast this morning, although I still couldn’t finish my oatmeal. It’s just… not great. A phrase from a Shel Silverstein poem always comes to mind – “gloppy glumps of cold oatmeal.” That’s exactly what it’s like if I allow it to cool too much. Not very appetizing.

Welp, I have news: I got moved. I’m now in the South tower, in the very same room I had during my first cycle over two years ago. I had a momentary chill when my nurse Adriel said where I was going but I’ll try to make the best of it. One plus is the blinds. They’re much newer and don’t fight me every time I try to open or close them, unlike the aged vertical monsters in the last room. Another is that there’s a teensy little window that I can actually open, so I can let in some fresh air. I threw that puppy open as wide as it would go when I first walked in this morning. I also have a recliner and another high-backed chair parked close to the window so I may spend some time in one of those, either reading of blogging. Oh, here’s another positive: The bathroom is larger and so is the shower, which has a built-in seat in case whoever’s in there gets a bit faint and has to sit down.

Speaking of feeling wobbly… I may need a nap. I’m currently getting blood and with any transfusion I’m also given Benadryl, and we all know what that stuff does to me. ZZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzzz… Oh, wait, LUNCH!!!

(YAWN. Smack, smack.) What a tasty little lunchie that was. I asked for a scoop of chicken salad on a bed of lettuce with tomato slices and a bit of extra mayo and it was very satisfying, not to mention I was able to eat it all, plus my soup and a BAG OF CHIPS, with no problem. Oh, at one point the salt from the chips happened to touch the sore on the side of my tongue, which set off a mini-Hiroshima of pain, but after that I was very careful to nibble very small bits of chip and chew on my off side. Overall, I would consider that a solid win!

Not to be alarmist or anything, but it looks like my counts may be starting their slow creep back upward. This may mean that I’ll get to go home for at least a few days between cycles. I’m not holding my breath but I’m DEFINITELY keeping my fingers crossed!